Does Tramadol cause Nightmares?

Last Update May 30, 2016
Treato found 551 posts discussing Tramadol and Nightmares.
In most of these discussions patients report that Tramadol causes Nightmares.
The manufacturer's product labeling should always be consulted for a list of side effects most frequently appearing in patients during clinical studies. Talk to your doctor about which medications may be most appropriate for you.
About Tramadol
Tramadol is a pain relief medication (opioid).
Uses: Tramadol is prescribed for Pain and is mostly mentioned together with this indication. In addition, our data suggest that some patients take it for Withdrawal Symptoms, although this is not an approved use. Read More
Satisfaction Score
?
3.3
5 1 245672
Moderately Satisfied
based on 245,672 conversations around the web
Back to all concerns

Does Tramadol cause Nightmares?

content loaded dynamically
Filter by
Filter by
Gender
Role
Age
All
We found 551 discussions
?
Nightmares from Tramadol
| Lizzie B
Recently had to take tramadol 2 x 50mg due to chronic knee and hip pain.
I experienced horrific nightmares which woke me up as they were so real or should I say surreal.
On the upside they did help with the pain but I had to stop as the nightmares were too frightening.

?
Nightmares from Tramadol
| Courtney m
I will say I have only been on this medication for a few short days and I have had the absolute most bizarre yet life like dreams! They are so vivid it's absolutely frightening, to the point I will get up and do things around the house for an hour or so until I am able to forget the dream and go back to sleep! Mine are always ghost related and somehow involve my daughter -.- not amused and will not be taking these any longer or ever again after I see my dr tomorrow!! I'll deal with the pain from my absess before I'll allow myself to have another insane nightmare

?
tramadol and nightmares
| Angela
I have been taking tramadol 50 mg for two years now and recently I have had to take double the amount a couple of different nights due to high pain levels. When I take only the 50 mg I don't experience nightmares but when I take a 100mg I end up with vivid nightmares some I can recall and some I dont
con't
September 19, 2014
The rest of my comment seemed to have been cut off, so I'll just finish it up by saying that some of the side-effects of true narcotics - like nightmares and itching or "crawling" skin - happen with tram too at higher doses, but they'll drop away again whenever you lower the dose, or even on their own at sustained higher doses (so long as the higher doses are taken as ordered and not messed with or abused. Moving between 50mg and 100mg as you are doing is fine.
Hugh
September 19, 2014
Nightmares are a common side-effect of opiate use, from the beast that is Morphine all the way down to little tramadol which contains only a small amount of synthetic opioid and has very weak effects on the u-opioid receptor - amounting to about 15% of the pain relief provided. The remaining 85% of tramadol's makeup is basically an SNRI anti-depressant, like Effexor or Milnacipran. In other words, as far as narcotics go, Tramadol barely qualifies as one, if at all. BUT it still has a few of the

Treato does not review third-party posts for accuracy of any kind, including for medical diagnosis or treatments, or events in general. Treato does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Usage of the website does not substitute professional medical advice.
The side effects featured here are based on those most frequently appearing in user posts on the Internet. The manufacturer's product labeling should always be consulted for a list of side effects most frequently appearing in patients during clinical studies. Talk to your doctor about which medications may be most appropriate for you.
The information reflected here is dependent upon the correct functioning of our algorithm. From time-to-time, our system might experience bugs or glitches that affect the accuracy or correct application of mathematical algorithms. We will do our best to update the site if we are made aware of any malfunctioning or misapplication of these algorithms. We cannot guarantee results and occasional interruptions in updating may occur. Please continue to check the site for updated information.
Welcome back! Sign in
See what other patients are saying
First time here? Sign up!
See what other patients are saying
Forgot your password?
No problem, we can help.
Please wait...